About Me

My photo
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
I am a lover of all things created, history, travel, art and literature. I spend my time with family and friends, working hard and creating things, pretty much in that order. My passion is to make beautiful things to wear, mostly accessories, jewelry, belts, clutches, hair adornments, brooches etc. I create mostly using fabric , fibres, metals, jewels, pins, chain, clips, buttons and more. I have a shop on Etsy.com which I sometimes have a little trouble maintaining depending on the time of year and how busy I am. Check out my Etsy Shop www.etsy.com/shop/dressedtothe9s or click on the box on the left to go directly there.

Friday, January 21, 2011

My Infamous Quilt

Some time last year I decided to make a quilt. I have never in my life made a quilt before nor do I know anything about it except that you can sew a whole bunch of fabrics together, add some quilting and another layer of fabric and stitch it up and you have a quilt. I don't know any of the terms for quilting, I don't know how to stitch it all together so when I said I decided to make a quilt I was really going in blind. I do however know how to sew, embroider, and co-ordinate colours. So if you are a quilt maker please bare with me and my lack of skills.
I decided to make a quilt because I have literally a hundred designer fabric books in my possession, you know the books that have sample fabrics in them that designers use to show clients. I use these in all of my other creations.
I thought to myself there are so many beautiful fabrics in these books but I would have to wash them first so they don't shrink.
So I started my quest to make the "Infamous Quilt". First off I decided on a colour palette, size, layout and then sorted through some books. I ended up with whites, off-whites, creams, soft yellows, browns and a little bit of black.


So this is what it looks like so far. The centre piece is 36  6" squares, the seams are half inch so this piece all sewn together is 30 inches by 30 inches. The next squares around will be smaller, I will let you know how it goes and I will post more pictures front and back so you can see how I sewed and pressed the seams. I hope it works out.
Wish me luck.

More to come

No comments:

Post a Comment