About Me

My photo
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
I am a lover of all things created, history, travel, art and literature. I spend my time with family and friends, working hard and creating things, pretty much in that order. My passion is to make beautiful things to wear, mostly accessories, jewelry, belts, clutches, hair adornments, brooches etc. I create mostly using fabric , fibres, metals, jewels, pins, chain, clips, buttons and more. I have a shop on Etsy.com which I sometimes have a little trouble maintaining depending on the time of year and how busy I am. Check out my Etsy Shop www.etsy.com/shop/dressedtothe9s or click on the box on the left to go directly there.

Friday, February 25, 2011

Delightful Doorways of Design

It's always nice to use your own photography to decorate your home. You don't have to be a  pro as I am certainly not but having a theme can make for a nice collection of framed  prints.
I have yet to do anything with these pictures but have been thinking about it for 2 years now.
When our family was in Paris and Italy 2 years ago I became fascinated with all the gorgeous doors and windows that we stumbled upon in our travels. After taking a picture of one or two I starting really noticing them.
In Paris they were stately and substantial and in Italy , particularily Venice, they were more charming and rustic. More shabby Chic you might say. I wanted to take pictures of all of them but I would be stopping every two seconds and hubby and daughter would not have been impressed because there was so much to see and only 16 days to do it in!
The first door I took a picture of was this big red set of doors in Paris. After I took that picture I was hooked.




In Paris many doors are for driving into. The doors open and it is a laneway into a courtyard where people live and park, sometimes there is a garden sometimes not. Naturally they all seem to be beautiful.





All of the above doors are Paris except the centre bottom shot taken at Versaille.
Depending on what type of look you would like for your photo series you could group certain shots together or have them printed in black and white to tie them together.

As we travelled into Italy the doors changed a little.



These two doors (above) were photographed in Verona. The land of Romeo and Juliet so they say.

These photos below were snapped in Venice. I think Venice housed my favorite doors. So rustic with lots of character. I particularily liked the crooked ones and wondered how old they were.




Love the detail on this one

Maybe they couldn't find the level






My picture taking seemed to taper off towards the end of our trip as I took less pictures of doors and got sidetracked more easily. With so much to take in it was sometimes hard to focus.

Rome and Florence doors follow



This was our home while in Rome


I love architectural details. I hope you find some inspiration for framing some prints for your home and if you take the pictures yourself you will find they spark some memories every time you look at them.


2 comments:

  1. Amazing detail and lots of individuality. Thanks for showing these door photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Architectural detail. These are really lovely shots. You are right your own photos bring back the memories :) T.

    ReplyDelete