About Me

My photo
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
I am a lover of all things created, history, travel, art and literature. I spend my time with family and friends, working hard and creating things, pretty much in that order. My passion is to make beautiful things to wear, mostly accessories, jewelry, belts, clutches, hair adornments, brooches etc. I create mostly using fabric , fibres, metals, jewels, pins, chain, clips, buttons and more. I have a shop on Etsy.com which I sometimes have a little trouble maintaining depending on the time of year and how busy I am. Check out my Etsy Shop www.etsy.com/shop/dressedtothe9s or click on the box on the left to go directly there.

Monday, February 7, 2011

Small Cosmetic Bag

I had a need for a small cosmetic bag for my rather small purse and I also had this pattern idea for small evening pouches so I decided to make a prototype of the pattern I had in mind yesterday, I have been thinking about it for 3 weeks.
I had heard of people making handbags and clutches from placemats so I based my pattern on that procedure.
I didn't use a placemat but instead I made what looked like a small placemat from some beautiful lightly quilted orange fabric from one of my Interior Decorating fabric sample books. I used 2 fabrics , the orange and what would end up being the lining a soft fabric in chartreuse. I like the combination.
My pictures don't really show how I sewed it together but hopefully you can figure it out. I want to make more of these but slightly larger and with a thin strap like cording or similar. I want to embelllish them and hopefully they could be little evening bags/pouches. Big enough for a lipstick , a few dollars, cell phone, keys and I.D.

Its a really simple procedure really. The only problem I cam across was when I went to sew the corners to square off the bottom...see next picture. It was a bit thick to get under my presser foot so I ended up sewing it by hand.

I'm quite happy with how it turned out aside from that and it fits a few of my cosmetics and goes quite nicely in my purse. Now to start making more of them.

Here is the finished product

7 comments:

  1. This is so pretty and looks quite simple to make! Thanks for showing us how!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really cute, and looks like something I might be able to tackle! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute bag!

    Swapping blog follows from the UEF :)
    Here's mine:

    http://tiffanywillwrite4food.blogspot.com

    Warmly,
    Tiffany with Will Write 4 Food

    --Home--
    http://tiffanywillwrite4food.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comments and your blogs, I am following all you lovely ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the bag and your color choice.
    I think I'll try one!

    ReplyDelete